Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Lost Dispatches of Feraso #58 - ... and the Village of Hommlet

The 17th Day of QuaDec in the Year 1045

The Free Village of Hommlet, Viscounty of Verbobonc

To His Lordship, Eger, Viscount of Verbobonc

The last three days have felt like an eternity. I arrived with the Feldkurton Lancers to fight off an invasion of bugbears and other ne'er do wells, possibly from the Evil Elemental cult outside of Nulb.  Since then, I've been tasked by expedition leader, Duke Gregory of Ostverk with exerting all my tactical skill to cover the logistics of moving his rather large encampment to the outskirts of Nulb.

In my time, I did finally get a chance to check off Hommlet from the list of villages, hamlets, and dales I had not visited before.  It's structure is akin to dozens of small villages throughout Ras-Prythax.

A single bar/inn, a trading posts, and temples to Akana and Guya are the major buildings, with a tower garrison filled by men from a mercenary company known as Burne's Badgers, just outside.


The burials of your agents, Elmo and Rufus, were attended by most of the town, and many of the various dominion guards.  I still have my doubts to the effectiveness of these agents, if they were caught unawares of the activities in the moathouse. 

No one has gotten a lead on Sabu Tablesmasher and his ilk, and as much as a younger baron might jump on his horse and chase after them, I'm much too old and out of practice to go on such an adventure.

As I finishing penning this letter to you, we have officially set up the tent that act as Duke Gregory's headquarters for leading the assault back into the ruins of the Evil Elemental Power.  I must admit the the years of serving your Uncle as a scribe in the castle swelled up a number of memories as I personally set up writing tables and supplies.

I have not been given my own men to enter the ruins, rather a group of hastily conscripted militia from one of the other minor noblemen in attendance.   Murag Mountainhammer is in the same predicament, although his levied troops are part of the second wave.

While I foresee problems with this attack, I have faith in the other nobles, the brave fighting men under our command, and the hope that Murag will relieve some of us in time, if we fall under attack by a completely underestimated fool.

Sir Elsderth Greyhawk, Baron of Greyhawk
Wielder of the Legendary Betrayer.
Defiler of the Temple of Tiamat.
Slayer of the Wizard Sazor
Freigraff of the Totenlinden of Amberstoll.

DM Notes: The first place my high school players set foot in was Hommlet, and despite a fabulous write-up, I twas too much a novice DM to take advantage of it.  We ultimately skipped the moathouse and went after Nulb and the Temple.  

Next #59 - A Letter from Duke Gregory

No comments:

Post a Comment