Friday, January 24, 2020

My Original Painted Miniatures

Sure I painted figures all through the 90's for fantasy, Warhammer Skaven, and Legions of Steel specifically, but 20 years ago I started the slow and winding true path I'm still part of today.

Back then I  was wrapping up my college campaign, splitting my Summer between the National Canal Museum and Griffon Games, and slowly plotting out my next fantasy campaign ideas.  I've plotted them out before on the blog, and to be honest, most didn't come to fruition.

The one thing I did manage to do was start painting figure and not making it a chore.

With the motley collection of Ral-Partha and Citadel paints the store kept in a storage closet, I set up a small paint station to work during slow hours. 

I know I painted a ton a skeletons (we sold a LOT of Reaper skeletons, but I preferred the Ral-Partha version that sat in metal bases.)  But the first character mini I finished Tara the Silent (02021)  by Sandra Garrity.
A simple snip off the knife and she was Katerine, the clueless and simple woman with a misplaced magic item (and lots of treachery) in the The Scepter of Amun-Ra.  The Hackmaster campaign that session launched only had a few painted figs over the year, but it grew my interest and competence in painting 

She's also better known as Archaeologist Maja Millie in the Pulp Games I play with my kids...

The other big mini that I painted was an official WotC D&D Ettin.  He played a crafty role in “The Ettin’s Riddle” for 3e and Hackmaster and has gathered dust most of the time since.
They both need more than just a "touch-up"

No comments:

Post a Comment