Saturday, July 16, 2022

The Boomerang of GM Dice Collection +5

 It has been what I expected, a week before Historicon 2022.  I got a good chunk of the garage organized, found the missing gnomes for this week (plus a box of the Gnome King's Scots I must have absconded with at Historicon 2021, and barely have anything ready for my Yellowstone game.  Par for the course, and right on time, if you ask me.  

Besides discovering a host of board games that were store on the garage shelves (Formula De, I'm looking at you.)  I uncovered a bunch of stuff I'd like to get rid of at the free flea market slot during Historicon Sunday morning, plus an ancient artifact.

I've been a fan of Jolly Blackburn and Knights of the Dinner Table since their early appearances in Shadis.  Reading the comics was the main reason I got into Hackmaster.  It's also the reason I acquired a Boomerang of GM Dice Collection +5 as yet another piece of equipment to a haul around when I game master. 

So what is this hunk of wood, and why did Jolly recommend it?  It's actually a stand-up display for sports and other collectible cards.  the cut on the top is to insert hard-sleeved cards for display at shows.  The arc of the piece is so gradual that there should be no bending of the cards.  

While showing off your Magic cards is frowned upon during a game session, this display was used by Jolly behind the GM screen for a dice bumper and a frame work to keep the GM Screen expanded.  

I used this exclusively behind my Hackmaster GameMaster Shield.  It reached all four panels, it was nearly the right height to use the flip-panels hassle free, and it was perfect to hold  4"x 6" note cards, allowing for more space behind the shield.  

A quick search finds a number of these displays, but all are straight pieces of wood, some prepped for shelves, some with LED backlights, all ranging from $11 up the $60.  I'd love to see what this peace fetched for back then, and what an equivalent version would be today, but for now, it goes in a gaming shelf in the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment