Thursday, August 4, 2022

#RPGaDay2022 - Day 4 - Where Would You Host a First Game?

As we move through this collection of related questions for the first week of #RPGaDay2022, Day 4 provides us with an essential question, "Where Would You Host a First Game?"

Too many folks' first experiences with role-playing involve getting invited to some random person's house, barely knowing anyone, and feeling as confused as they were excited (and that's a best-case scenario.).  

A Safe Space isn't just a card with an X on it:  If I'm teaching someone how to role-play, we're setting them up to succeed, using either their own house or a trusted friend's to run the game.    I certainly am not going to invite myself into someone's home without full discussion/disclosure about what's taking place for all parties involved (including spouses and parents).   

A safe amount of space is just as important:  Thirty years out of high school, and I've noticed that dining room sets are much smaller than they were way back when.  What a lot of folks considering a  dining room table could barely hold three players, plus a traditional GM with a screen, notes, etc.

Likewise, everyone in the living room in a bunch of over-plush furniture and barely any flat surfaces for die rolls, maps, play aids,   Like a gaming engineer, I'd love to formulate the right ratio of practicality and comfort.  This is amusing, because I've taught plenty of folks games sitting around hotel banquet tables at conventions.

The one advantage of a circular table is ease of movement and access to the players.  It might work for established groups to hide behind a screen or stay put in a comfy La-Z-Boy.  Getting close enough to the players so that we're dedicating our time and focus on them is paramount... and while I'm out from behind the screen, I better check on the quiet player who isn't providing input on the plan, just to see if they have another idea.

Don't Come Empty Handed:  Back in the day, I did stand for a basic rule. GMs didn't need to bring anything (Hosting and running the game could be a different story.)  Players should be bringing something extra to share with everyone, if they wanted something beyond a bowl of chips, some sodas, or a pitcher of iced tea.  Even when I was teaching games at a new players' home, I wouldn't take advantage of the hospitality, and offer to chip in at least my fair share of pizza, but bringing the game to play was my somewhat pretentious-sounding "gift"

Using the example of my teaching my kids' friends, I would suggest a home in a centralized spot, perhaps a second TV or family room to play in, and bring preferred snacks for the players, and a "house warming gift" to the parents staying and watching the chaos commence (preferably in bottle form, if they're so inclined).   I'm definitely arranging a food schedule, if it needs to be ordered/cooked, and bringing out dice and character sheets ASAP.
It also helps if you bring enthusiastic ringers, like these college guys who dropped into an all kids-game of My Little Pony, then proved to be the biggest cheerleaders to the other players.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment