Wednesday, August 3, 2022

#RPGaDay2022 - Day 3 - When Were You First Introduced to RPGs ?

So, my first role-playing game I ever played?    As with all vague and annoying people, I shall give THREE answers!

My first experience with the GM-Player dynamic with role-playing was Model Club at Easton Area Middle School.  After a lull of putting together a Warhammer (the mech, not the GW line), I got to talking with my friend Charles and he offered to show me what it was using Battle Road.

Battle Road was an "Adventure Gamebook" which meant it was a Choose-Your-Own Adventure format book, but some decisions were left to driving and gunnery checks, which required a die roll. About as a basic a concept that could be done (and tons of requisite flavor text), but I was slowly hooked.

The first "real" RPG I played was June of 1989.  We had just finished 9th grade at the "Intermediate School" and finally got to go to the high school the following September.  My friend George had an end of school cookout of some sort and the game was Paranoia.

Charles ran the game with George, Scott, and myself the players.  Details are sketchy, but I remember being a Commie but somehow I only burned two clones!  LE-R-OY became LE-O-OY a session or two later.

And the third game would be Red Box D&D. Not including details or a timeline, because that fits better to discuss Day 10 next week.

3 comments:

  1. I remember making a lot of characters for Paranoia... but I don't actually recall ever PLAYING the game. The first character I made was IFO-R-GET. I think he was a First Church of Christ Computer Programmer...?

    There might have been ONE session with one of the groups I made characters with, where a gunfight broke out in the briefing room and the GM decided he'd had enough and never ran it again...

    I knew SO MANY people that played Car Wars... but somehow I never ended up playing. I did play Dark Future (Games Workshop's version)... but I think that's about it. Never even tried Gaslands.

    I guess there was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Roadkill... but that was pure role-playing, never used miniatures or counters on any sort of map or anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've played Paranoia twice: That first game, and then when my family had a summer picnic and invited all the relatives over (Me and My Mark V). Trying to explain what we were playing and not using D&D as reference was amusing. Gotta love a game with Chutzpah as a stat.

      Car Wars is like Star Fleet Battles, or big game Battletech, where you need the time and the fervent personnel IN PERSON to get (most of) it accomplished. I went in big on the Car Wars reprints awhile back, and with COVID, it's laying fallow. I might sell off a portion I'll never use.

      Delete
    2. Ha-ha! Yeah. Wasn't Chutzpah a stat in TOON as well...? Or something like that?!

      Delete