Thursday, September 1, 2022

#RPGaDay2022 Recap

 Another August, another #RPGaDay has been completed.  I find things... satisfactory.

Here's the deal: I've participated in all nine years of #RPGaDay.  I've also participated in a number of social media projects, lasting either a week or a month.  If I don't go full social media maven with the likes and the shares and the tagging of individuals, developers, and game companies, the posts actually perform worse than my usual mix of RPG Actual Plays, Miniature Painting, and wargaming After-Action Reports.  

Maybe it's because blogs (and their users) have been dying a figurative (and literal) death over the last seven years.   I personally don't have time nor the patience for a video, and a Tweet without a link is just stream of consciousness laziness.  

The two shout-outs of blogs I followed the entire month were Ken Newquist's NukeTown blog were and a big shout out to Tim at Tim's Miniature Wargaming blog.  

The writing prompts for 2022 were quite interesting, although the week-long thread of related topics regarding introducing others to gaming, and "Tell me about your character" were much longer than they needed to be.  They could have been condensed into two, maybe three days, tops.  I spent nearly a decade working in gaming shops and have heard dozens upon dozens of "Let me tell you about my character," where I was trapped behind the counter for what felt like an eternity.  Six days of stretching out Falgor the Mighty's story should violate the Geneva Convention, and it's MY character! 

I did appreciate the attempt at involving dice and linking as many folks as the die result to mention a topic or two.  Some folks are not on social media, so I overcame and adapted.

There are a lot of revisited topics this year from prior #RPGaDays, but since my recommendation for the 10th anniversary is revisit most of year one, I'll keep my mouth shut about that. 

My favorite out of the 31 topics? Day 9's "What Was Your SECOND RPG You Ever Bought?"  followed by the mental exercises of Day 13 "How Would You Change the Way You Were Introduced to RPGs.

To do all nine years just gets messy....

2018 could be considered the peak for views for #RPGaDay.  In hindsight, it could was also during peak blog 'bot traffic, but those 2018 questions were interesting to answer, and to read other's answers. 

 This year runs parallel with last year's views, which is an improvement, because I track all-time views on this chart.  

No comments:

Post a Comment