Monday, September 14, 2026

Trying to Figure Out the Fall Con Scene

 I’ve had the fortunate situation of traveling up upstate New York to watch Maya play volleyball the past two weekends.  With the move up there, a new travel team, and the very backwards set up for varsity sports at the new high school, it's  been a bit more trying than it should.

I’ve been paying more attention in recent months, not to the player interaction, but how a coach actually "coaches'.   In my conversations with Maja, I've realized that there are honestly few true coaches been any level of sports that can instruct to a full roster, strategize with the flow of the game, and just general personnel management.  With some Shake Shack between us, and with no disrespect to the wonderful adults who have stood in that role over the years for both my daughters, but we really only came to a consensus of two coaches in the dozen years of sports,  that have really been excellent coaches, in all segments.

And as a further downer for the weekend, Shake Shake is nothing more than overpriced vintage Wendy's with pretentious Frosties.    

I do have to laugh, our time was probably better spend attending CouncilCon 26 in Schenectady, even if she had to leave halfway through the day to go to work… If I didn’t have to take the journey to go visit my mother and take care of yardwork and fixing a few more things, I may have even stayed for Sunday

Despite being the emotional athletic support systems both weekends, I have gotten a few other things done.

I finished a revisit to Flights 2 and downgraded the their review.  It's only a half-gnome deduction, but  the folksy and cluttered appeal began to wear thin as I double checked a few things.  

I've also been able to visit not one, not two, but THREE different game stores, with pending reviews coming up.  

Most importantly,  was able to enjoy the extra time with my daughter, trying to plan a game-filled November we normally have in Pennsylvania.

First off, FALL-IN 2026, November 6-8, 2026 at the Wyndham in Lancaster will NOT have a formal HMGS NEXT GEN presence.  I'm half tempted just to sign up for the day or the weekend, maybe volunteer to judge events for a slot, although between my  conversations with Maja and a my long drive down the Thruway on Sunday, I think I have an event to run a) that's fun  b) simple to assemble and c) still Gnome themed.  It might require a few trips to the dollar store, Michael's and definitely the evil Hobby Lobby.    With this, I might just be willing to run the joust.  

Mepacon 51 -  Is the following weekend , November 13-15, in Allentown Pennsylvania. 
For Mepacon 50, I had run an assortment of “best of “games. I’ve done over the last 35 years of convention.  

For Mepacon 51, I was strongly pondering a Fistful of Lead sci-fi game to cover the alien theme and I was actually being pressured to run a sequel to the “Cthulhu Comes to Springfield" games, most notably, an alien themed vignettes under "Don't Blame Me, I Voted for Kodos!" 

I don't think I'm willing to do the 12 hours of gaming anymore to get the free badge.  Hell, I’m not sure I might even go anymore.

Couple that was some pretty big news for the Gamma World campaign happening this Monday night, as well as the normal October-to-September year end reviews I do  and we’re sort of had a crossroads of what I really want to do, And what’s really important?

Perhaps it's the request from Maja to bring "The Boyfriend",  Drew, to SATLOF (Saturday After Thanksgiving Left Over Feast) my college roommate, Steve (and Angi) still host.  Considering Steve was one of the "trusted uncles" Maja begged opinions of the young man, this should be a smooth transition.


No comments:

Post a Comment