Tuesday, August 24, 2021

#RPGaDay2021 - Day 24 - Translating Randomness to Campaign Points

Day 24 of #RPGaDay2021 and "TRANSLATE"

I'm not too big on needing translators for most games.  It's been a long time since I collected French Call of Cthulhu.  Languages in Star Wars are the occasional roll to figure out Wookie and ticked-off droid. 

Translation services I haven't really needed.  Instantaneous NPC generation, on the other hand, is worth its weight in gold.  

D&D always benefitted from more random generation tables that were ever necessary.    With a little idea of what the town was like, I could whip up a host of various NPCs with chucking a small pile of dice. 

I haven't really found that groove with Star Wars yet.  So many planets, so many more races, I've honestly been alternating between Humans and Rodians, with a few Transdosians, Snaggletooths, Snivvians, and thanks to the Mandalorian, Weequay.  Worst yet, a random Star Wars race also involves me looking up specs on Wookiepedia, so it still takes up a lot of time (hence a LOT of Human NPCs).

Those complaints aside, here are the two online generators I use for gameplay.

FantasyNameGenerators.com is my go-to site.  In addition to all the classic fantasy races, it has a phenomenal cross section of real names (Ottoman, Belgian, Afrikaner? Got 'em), lots of pop culture gnerators, and a host of miscellaneous descriptions, when that you need that next healing potion to be something other than blue and glowing.

The Donjon was recommended by my friend Hoyce, and it's a little less fancy than FNG.com, but seems to be easier and quicker to use.  

No comments:

Post a Comment