Sunday, August 8, 2021

#RPGaDay2021 - Day 8 - Streams and Casts

While I can cover an infamous near-TPK in my Hackmaster campaign, I think Day 8's "STREAM" should be used for streaming and related material. 

I'm not much into live-streaming, time and obligations interfering with most chances.  I do occasionally see an episode of Happy Jacks RPG Podcast on Twitch, and I'm quite confused by the appeal those video game playthroughs, so I rely on a Top 10 list of the "gaming" podcasts I try to listen to regularly.

10(tie) - Spellburn: DCC RPG Podcast  - I've never played Dungeon Crawl Classics, but I get the classic vibe of the game, and I enjoy the input by all the Judges.  

10(tie) - Happy Jacks RPG Podcast - One of the grey ladies of gaming podcast, I've been listening to it less and less regularly.  Sometimes it's poor advice, poor recollections of gaming history, or a focus on items that don't interest me, but if I don't hear my friend Eric from New Jersey's name in the introduction with a letter, I'm barely getting through these ever-growing sessions. 

9 - New Books in History - Specifically Military History.  Interviewing the authors can be a bit droll, or simply a recap of basic history, but I've used some discussed concepts for Call of Cthulhu, a good deal of wargaming, and even a purchase (and reading) of an actual history book.  Big shout-out when my friend and player "Doctor Bob" hosts an episode.

8 - Trapped Under Plastic - An entire podcast about miniature painting, dominated by Games Workshop.   It suffers from being 90 minutes long, with 30 minutes of bs, 30 minutes of the hosts acting like db's, and 30 minutes of sheer brilliance.  They also get demerits for knowing little about Mordheim, or even older GW stuff (I can't be that much of a GW grognard to remember original Talisman and complain about that, can I?)

7 - Miskatonic University Podcast - After 228 episodes, the MU Podcast as turned over most of its original hosts and expanded from Lovecraftian horror to general horror (including a fun interview with the creator of Free League's Alien RPG.  I like the current dynamics, although I'd like some old revisits to topics, even if it's just for nostalgia's sake. 

6  - Lair of Secrets - A podcast about gaming and being a geek by two forty something geeks dads, episodes are posting about eight months behind, but it's always amusing.  Host Ken Newquist is actually part of the extended gamer group that I meet/play with at Mepacon (and lives in my hometown of Easton), although I don't believe I've ever  talked about him.  I also follow his Nuketown blog. 

5 - Fear the Boot -  THE Grand Dame of Gaming Podcasts, it can suffer some of the issues with Happy Jacks, but I enjoy the diversity of opinions, and specific meta-discussion on their own campaigns, even their knowledge of the RPG history and industry-related news is skewed.  

4 - Vintage RPG Podcast - My favorite "latest find," any podcast that review a wide range of RPG products throughout its history and can entertainingly cover one product for a 20-30 minute podcast is simply gold in this day and age.  

3  - Neoscum -  Definitely not family nor work-friendly, but this Shadowrun game is simply phenomenal, and definitely not a game of Shadowrun that I've seen locally or at conventions.  

2 - Campaign Podcast (Generation One) -  I recommended it many moons ago, and still regularly re-listen to the Star Wars campaign.   You may love their now-long-running Skyjacks game as well.

1 - Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff - Quite simply the best gaming (and gaming related) podcast ever!  So much material, so much media, so much history, so much application of all that to your gaming sessions.  I'm slowly working through the backlog as well, and it's great to see the actual evolution of the podcast to the polished product it is today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment