Thursday, May 12, 2022

(Kickstarter) Deadball, 2nd Edition

I may have no interest in current big-league baseball, but I've slowly rekindled my interests with Dice Baseball over the last month.   Even with those super-simple (and super-random) mechanics, I'm always interested in a new set of rules, and the latest Kickstarter for Deadball, 2nd Edition piques my interest.

While I believe the system I prefer couldn't get easier if it was reduced to coin flips, I have deep respect for a man who designed a baseball game to play while feeding his one-year-old infant, and still involve some player stats and polyhedral dice to resolve at-bats.   It's not Strat-o-Matic or AAPA, but there's just enough to it to ensure Hank Aaron has a better at-bat versus Sandy Koufax than Carl Sawatski. 

I'm particularly impressed by the campaign rules and sample, the Southern Circuit, and the Nine Pennant Race end-of-season mini-campaign.  I love the games in general, but if you can tie something to it, all that dice rolling as more emotional energy, and an enduring legacy.

For $7 you can get the PDF, for $12 you can get the digital and Print on Demand options (additional costs and shipping apply), and for $25 you get the new rules plus all digital on POD versions of the previous library of Deadball products.  

No comments:

Post a Comment