Thursday, August 3, 2023

#RPGaDay2023 - Day 3 - First RPG Bought This Year

Day 3 of #RPGaDay2023. Singing the praises of the hobby, and feeling nostalgic in the process.

For each day I'll be answering the question provided, and for fun, review how I answered a similar question during #RPGaDay a decade ago.  Scout's Honor, I have not peeked at the older answer.

Day 3's prompt is "First RPG Bought This Year"

Both of my daughters play AAU.  It's expensive, and the tournaments can be so poorly organized that when the news of a coach striking a referee at one of our usual sites hit the national news, my first though wasn't condemning the action, but rather "Which tournament organizer?  Which ref?  I don't like it, but I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner."  

While we normally travel to that site outside Lancaster, PA for most of our quality tournaments, we do venture to the Philly 'burbs and King of Prussia for a few as well.  KoP has certain benefits.

  1. Wawas everywhere!
  2. The Cheesecake Factory (and the whole KoP mall itself)
  3. The Complete Strategist is three minutes away from the main basketball facility. 
So, during a break in the action, I ventured down the road to the Strategist and snagged up a copy of Rebel Scum by 9th Level Games.   
#RPGaDay is about promoting positivity within the hobby, so let's just say, despite the full-color, glossy production values, and neat concepts, I already owned similarly sized games that do the things I want better.

Ten Years Ago Retrospective:  "First RPG Purchase (Ever)" -  The Mentzer D&D Basic "Red Box," cheesy dice and crayon included.

No comments:

Post a Comment