Friday, August 18, 2023

#RPGaDay2023 - Day 18 - Favorite Game System

Day 18 of #RPGaDay2023 and now I'm pondering definitions for a "fun" internet project.

For each day I'll be answering the question provided, and for fun, review how I answered a similar question during #RPGaDay a decade ago.  Scout's Honor, I have not peeked at the older answer.

Day 18's prompt is "Favorite Game System" 

As Day 31 is "Favorite RPG of all Time"  and one significant criteria would normally be game system, I'll throw a curveball.    My Favorite RPG is such because the system is great, but the monstrosity which is Hackmaster is my favorite game system, because there are so many of them.  

Birthed from the pre-2000 D&D, with a percentile skill system thrown in for good measure, Hackmaster is everything anachronistic we loved about D&D.  Complicated concepts, multiple rolls on multiple charts, calculating things is actually an exercise in skill, memorization, and simple luck, more than a mere min-maxer can tolerate. 

All of it culminates in the Hackmaster GameMaster's Screen, the greatest value in a GM screen ever (and I own a 99-cent Gamma World 1st edition screeen from Kay-Bee Toys!)


Ten Years Ago Today:  It make's sense that my preferences have evolved over the years.  Ten years ago, I said AD&D 2nd Edition was my favorite system, and in some ways, it still is. 

Of course, it must be noted, that I don't think I've played Hackmaster or 2nd Edition over the decade.  Things were either 5e or one session of 4e when it came to D&D.  Most of my go-to fill-in games for the Monday night group have been Mentzer Red Box (ultimately BECMI Rules Cyclopedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment