Thursday, August 24, 2023

#RPGaDay2023 - Day 24 - The Simplest RPG I Play

Day 24 of #RPGaDay2023 and I'm going around in philosophical circles.

For each day I'll be answering the question provided, and for fun, review how I answered a similar question during #RPGaDay a decade ago.  Scout's Honor, I have not peeked at the older answer.

Day 24's prompt is "Simplest RPG I Play"

This year's process is to go with your first impression, which is Risus - The Everything RPG.  

The criteria is "simple."  If my Monday night online game has no-shows, most of the time I will resort to Risus to make up characters and run something else from my archive of awesome.  Whether it's Illuminati University, Coffee Shop, or an impulsive game based on pulp serials and Terraforming Mars, having players think up four cliches  and some equipment is much easier than a full-sized RPG.

Shoutout to "Post-Match Interview" out of the The Ultimate Micro-RPG Book, edited by James D'Amato.  It is a half-step beyond an improv session, but I love to use it when we've waited too long for somebody to salvage a full session, or we want to wrap up early.  

Ten Years Ago Today:  Fun fact, ten years ago, the official question was "Most Complicated RPG Owned", and I gave respect and props for Fantasy Wargaming.    I'll also note here, that Day 7 of 2014, I named Risus the "Most Intellectual RPG Owned," because it can be conveniently simple, and also add on layers of complexity, if you like that sort of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment