Thursday, June 11, 2020

(Painting) A Gargirl of My Dreams and a Nightmare of Yellow Phase Shopping

The dents on my lead pile are small, but there's a ton of touch-ups I need to finish before putting them away in the box on the better-organized minis-shelves.

Gargirl - Originally Part of a pack of Gargoyles from the Hackmaster line of miniatures, now produced by Iron Wind Metals.

And yet another G1 Nightmare from Legions of Steel.

School is finally finished, work (from home) is ramping up with no definitive direction, and now I add cleaning out the Mother in Law's house to the COVID - approved activities.  Plus I was "allowed" two trips out of the house to run ViscountEric errands.

First was more a quick run to Home Depot and some other stops, only to realize that even the big chain stores are still closing by 7pm, so it took

You know what stays open later during a pandemic?  The two FLGS who have been shut down since mid-March.  Sword in the Stone Games (formerly multiple games) still has their actual storefront closed up and instructed customers to use the rear basement stairwell to access their gaming area and main store.  Bad News: the basement hallway and side rooms still give me a Saw vibe, but they are extremely ardent on following proper precautions.  They've set a handwashing station with honest to God soap and require masks (a small quantity provided) to enter the store proper.  On top of that, they require customers leaving, to take the front stairs up to the main doors to exit.

I saw a lot more progress with painting, cleaning, and actual inventory building with Tactical Advantage.  The store's less cluttered in the open gaming area, and the stock levels were at their best since they opened.

What threw me off was the Yellow Phase Masking Rule Sheet taped to the doors.  Two-thirds of the text had to do with flouting the ADA rules for masking so-called "patriots" are using to stay open place at other businesses.  I get you (and by extension your clientele) don't want to wear one, but in-store gamers tend to cover two or three comorbidities just walking in the door, I'd expect a direct policy.

I also work for a company that has mandatory masking for everyone walking in the building.  Patients are allowed no exceptions (we happen to have medical records calling BS on all your ailments.  Please grow up.)  Family members, vendors, and people unwisely hanging around and refusing to mask will be handed two choices, a full face shield to wear, or immediate expulsion from the premises.

I was 100% following the governor's guidelines until June 1st, and now we've got Memorial vacationers and people attending protests skewing the numbers.

I'm not going to risk death for a professional barber and a non-relative cooking breakfast and filling my coffee while I read the morning paper, but dammit, I'm jonesing for it finally.

This rant towards the store might be slightly unwarranted, or I'm simply directing my anger over buying a can of Citadel Primer for $17 or so.  It's marginally better than the generic stuff, but not double the price.

Rant aside, on the second trip out I was able to make it to Michael's to restock some paint and brushes.  Good news, Rewards members, you're looking a 20% your entire purchase in your coupons!  Between that and found gift card with five bucks left on it, I restock for peanuts.   Of course, some of my shopping was for naught, as some colors were probably heavily separated in March, much less in June.  Some of the craft paint colors appear to be long-term lost causes (Alizarin Crimson I'm looking at you, all six bottles beyond hope.) 

edit/FYI: Currently on the Michael's App, there are two coupons:  One for 20% your total order, good through 6/16, and one for 20% regularly priced items on your order, good through 6/18.

No comments:

Post a Comment