Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Lost Dispatches of Feraso #79 - The Witch's Bidding

12th of HepDec 1051 - Village of Eding, Kingdom of Crosedes
It has finally been confirmed that the magic-user Cesmir has not been murdered by the Goblins scouting parties out of Nightwood Forest. 

Regular merchants have confirmed seeing him heading towards Hydincal.   The Magic Lyceum is still a good guess for the destination.  I still have not gotten confirmation that his increasingly scaly skin condition had anything to do with his departure, but the falsehoods of the goblin assassination may disprove that his skin had been getting damaged from the Sun, and he was searching for the darkness of the Nightwood to soothe his body.  With the departure of Zoog months ago, it only leaves one "Hero of Eding": Little Iris.  She's incredibly helpful, very cheerful, and smart enough to scout out the goblin and lizardman threats instead of a full-confrontation, but I'm shocked no one else stands up for the safety of the village!  I do what I can, but younger bulls like Caton should be leading the defense of the mission.

27th of SexDec 1051 - Village of Eding
Now, even as a young girl, I considered Iris a lady, now I must address her as Lady Iris.  Today was the ceremony for Iris to become a Red Knight of Crosdes.  I believe the town was as shocked as she was by the announcement by Lord Athelstane.  As effectively the Lady Protector of the Realm, she should be working closely with Athelstane, but their personalities seem to mix as well as oil and water.

In a follow-up to the ceremony, Lady Iris was promoted to Lieutenant of the Village Militia.

2nd of OctDec 1052 - Village of Eding, Kingdom of Crosedes
Very early this morning, I was awoken by a rapping on my cottage door.  I stumbled through my door and found a worried Caton on my step.  He begged me to put on some traveling clothes and my sword...

... and two shovels.....

We waded across the hip-deep freezing waters of the Hydincall River.  Caton scaled a steep, but well-known hill and as I reached the top. I found in front of the door for the witch's hut!   He put a single finger against his lips to quiet me, then motioned for me to follow him in.

Inside, the interior of the hut was quite spacious compared to the ramshackle interior.  There were two large fireplaces, shelves of books, tomes, reagents, spices, and equipment.

And a small couch is an obviously dying woman. "This is Ferula Bloodgood, she has played the role of the witch in Eding for the last 22 years.  She's dying and there's nothing we can do for her."
A dying Ferula and Caton
I am gobsmacked to learn that not only was the all-powerful witch a middle-aged woman with a loud voice, a skill in disguise, and the ability to follow recipes to create concoctions, but the idea that Caton has been helping her all this time seems very convenient... and trendy.

Considering Caton a friend, we buried the body on an old abandoned manor graveyard, and I got back to my cottage without anyone even missing me.


Next: #80 The Witch's Legacy

No comments:

Post a Comment