Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Lost Dispatches of Feraso #89 - Elmshire

23rd of HepDec, 1061 - Halfling Village of Elmshire - Kingdom of Crosedes
I arrived at Elmishire just past mid-day and immediately demanded an audience with their Mayor or Sheriff-for-Life, Tanqueman the Elder.  I was met by the impetuous Ozark, Tanqueman's "protege" and assistant. I barely remembered him, but the aging half-orc remembered me instantly from our quick conversation over a decade ago when I led a squad of militiamen up here on false pretenses.  He quickly gave me shelter in a halfling farmer's barn and told me I would wait.

24th of HepDec, 1061 - Halfling Village of Elmshire - Kingdom of Crosedes
I continue to wait.  The farmer, Caradoc Sandheaver, was nice enough to provide me with breakfast, but hastily locked the barn doors when my back was turned.

Ozark showed up with lunch, and despite Tanqueman's unavailability, we chatted over quite a few things.  He's certainly not a fan of adventurers, and my tale of Krull & Company did not win me over with him.  Other tales of an unnamed Order of Merit and Talanth Blackash's Crew turned him even more sour.  For a half-orc of 69 years, he doesn't really understand the way of the world outside of the shires.

25th of HepDec, 1061 - Halfling Village of Elmshire - Kingdom of Crosedes
Tanqueman the Elder has finally arrived.
Tanqueman the Elder
He apologized for his delay and was quite concerned by the oncoming goblins, especially if they were to hit the halfling villages.  I was immediately assigned to Guido Burrowes, the captain of the militia, and immediately we went to work, rallying the militia from the fields and hovels, repairing palisades, and retooling weapons and replenishing supplies of arrows.  While I truly hope that I'm right that the goblins won't reach here, but by the searing-white hot justice of Akana, the goblins do not stand chance.

29th of HepDec, 1061 - Halfling Village of Elmshire - Kingdom of Crosedes
I finally managed to get over to Merovec Puddinfoot's shop.  We had seen each other during the militia actions, but had not had the chance to talk business.  I was able to unload my desk and some other furniture I had purchased from him, at a fair value, I might add.

He also acquired some accommodations outside of the prison-like barn, or the pint-sized barracks.  Almost succeeded in having me re-buy my old furniture, but I've been a man of simple means before.  It is nice to write the journal under proper lamplight and a full size table and chair. 

33rd of HepDec, 1061 - Halfling Village of Elmshire - Kingdom of Crosedes
What may be the last caravan to come up from Eding arrived in Elmishire today with double foreboding news.  The Goblins of G'ba appear to be massing in the Nightwood along the northern shore of the river... and Krull & Company are nowhere to be found.

Next: #90 - The Long Nights

No comments:

Post a Comment