Thursday, August 6, 2020

#RPGaDay2020: Day 6 - Forest

DAY 6 for RPGaDay gives me a prompt that immediately triggered word association: "Forest."

I can imagine an inordinate number of "forest through the trees articles and weblogs",  but I'll keep things a bit less in-depth

First thought is the much maligned AD&D module, "N2 - The Forest Oracle."   While not a bad concept, the lack of an editor within 200 miles of the writing shows off horribly.  Between some egregious errors in the organization of the adventure, and the flagrantly bad boxed text, I've made a realization:

The Forest Oracle is the Phantom Menace of D&D modules. 

Twenty years after its release, Episode 1 is getting some revisionist history after a billion-dollar box office but years of hate.   With my gaming group's newfound love of Star Wars I figured I would do something I have never done:  Watch Episode 1 in its entirety. 

With the rest of the family in attendance and Disney+ at the ready, it was a disaster.  Everyone but myself fell asleep before the pod racing, and I nearly dozed off at the end.  Like the Forest Oracle, a few interesting encounters and cool effects does not save a poorly written story and even worse "boxed text" (ie. horrible acting). 

But I’ll take this time to throw out a random concept related to the other module that Star Wars episode one the Phantom Menace is the equivalent of the forest or is it far is oracle of Star Wars I mean space list number one yeah and the concept is not bad the execution is downright horrible to a few A few moderately cool scenario encounters does not save everything.


After the huge library of work that came after the movie, I'm still shocked that Episode 1 exceeds the drivel of the worst modern movie: Attack of the Clones.   Attack of the Clones was so bad I immediately walked out the door and bought a ticket for the next showing, simply because I refused to admit that the movie I just watched was as bad as I thought it was.

The second showing didn't allay my fears.

At this point, let me just say, thank God for the Mandalorian

No comments:

Post a Comment