Friday, August 7, 2020

Health and Wellness Check

Two weeks out from my surgery and I'm pining for the serenity which was the constant beeps of machines and whining of roommates in the hospital.

Outside of a lifting restriction, I can safely say that I'm in better shape than I have been in years.  My numbers continue to positively plummet so I'm hoping the weening process to get me off of some of this medicine can starter sooner rather than later.
The biggest change was to my eyesight.  I'm definitely in the need of a new prescription, but it has been a fun week working on the computer without wearing glasses.  Driving has been a bit of a pickle as I run errands, but there's still no great place to go right now.

The house is still kitten-induced madness.  They are a hit with the kids, my wife, and most of the neighborhood.  I even like them sometimes.

The most exciting news came on the day Hurricane Isaias hit the east coast.   The fourth kitten, the one that quite literally leapt out of the box and sprinted away within thirty seconds of arriving at the house was found!  Somehow, this little fella survived for weeks on its on, and traveled over two miles and over five lanes of interstate highway to reach the woman's doorstep who posted a picture on social media.  Needless to say, I ran over that afternoon, and Doby the Free Kitten (pronounced like Dobie Gillis rather than the Harry Potter character) has been reunited.

More worrisome on the day of the Hurricane was flooding, and the basement becoming inundated after 5-7 inches of rain.  Surprisingly, the pumps held tough and we only have a little bit of water overflow the pit when a kink in the backup pumps line formed mid-afternoon.  By dinner that potential issue had subsided and the small bit of floor affected was already dry.

A dry basement with a threat of water finally gave me enough reason to go downstairs and at least straighten up the painting bench.
Back in Business!

With a much-cleaner bill of health, I have declared to the family that I'll be disappearing for one hour every evening to either write or paint.  It's a necessary part of my mental recovery (and the stool I sit on downstairs is more forgiving to the few sore spots I have left).

I also finally did a full inventory of my paints and brushes, finally chucked the ones that went bad, and have a shopping list for some substantial restocks.

No timetable for anything, but I foresee myself pumping out some long-languishing units and finding some quick projects to get into a painting groove.

Role-playing-wise, I only missed one session with my hospitalization and I made a triumphant return to the online GM screen and finished up the first story arc for the Star Wars d6 campaign.  

No comments:

Post a Comment