Sunday, August 16, 2020

#RPGaDay2020: Day 16 - Dramatic

Day 16 of #RPGaDay2020 and we get a little "Dramatic."

One of my biggest flaws as a GM is that I drop the dramatic plot twists, the "a-ha!" moments and the story climaxes appear way too early. 

While I don't need to drag things along for no reason to extend the story (or fill in that 30 minutes we have left in the session) dropping the big reveal the first try robs the players of further opportunities to bolster or even hinder their lot in the situation. 

I'm extremely rusty with my story pacing with this Star Wars d6, and it has resulted in some heavy-handed actions and narrative.  I've been lucky that the players have chosen the "safe" route (re: surrender), but we had time to at least allow some other options which may have succeeded.  A few lucky rolls in Star Wars and what looked to be impossible has the tables turned for the other side.

The other thing I need to remember, specifically for d6 Star Wars, is the more modern interpretation of the Wild Die.  Successes (6's) and Botches (1's) do not need to be applied instantaneously unless you or the player knows exactly what they want to happen.  I mean, certain rolls must be applied to combat or physical rolls, but that technical or repair roll with a 1 can be saved for the least opportune time to take place. Just keep it in a reasonable time frame.  Don't apply it three sessions later (unless the droid you repaired... badly doesn't get involved in the game until three sessions later). 

No comments:

Post a Comment