Friday, August 21, 2020

#RPGaDay2020: Day 21 - Push

Day 21 of #RPGaDay2020 gives us "Push."  I'm sure there can be plenty of articles on pushing rolls or pushing actions and all that entails, but I could only think of the "big fight" scene from the series finale of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Every year one day of this turns down another path of geekdom.  I'm guessing today is that day for 2020.

I was quite content with the villain-of-the-week format for the first season, mixed in with a pinch of MCU tie-ins.  As the seasons progressed, the show varied like a comic series: stand-alone issues, references to over-arching storylines, and the occasional special guest to drum up sales (Ghost Rider, I'm looking at you!)

Agents of S.H.I.E.LD. was certainly uneven and clumsy at times, but it was the right amount of comic book fun.

One series that might be wearing thin for us a family is The Flash.  Let it be known, My family has binged-watched marathons of the Flash repeatedly since they were first put on Netflix.  My daughters know all the minor characters, and it launched a great discussion, "Daddy? What's a particle accelerator actually do?"

I've become tired of the series with the appearance of Devoe in Season 4, and I'm realizing that beyond the crossover episodes, the girls are going back to the beginning once the flying samurai makes his appearance. 

For me, the only saving grace of the last few seasons was Ralph Dibney, aka the Elongated Man.  With evidence that actor Hartley Sawyer was an insufferable idiot earlier in his life and with his subsequent firing, I fear we'll be regaling the wonders of those first three seasons (and crossovers).

The absolutely pleasant surprise has been Stargirl.  The teen-centric supers series has generated the early Flash enthusiasm in my house.  My girls love the characters (they already watched Brec Bassinger in Nickelodeon's Bella and the Bulldogs, so they expect her to be awesome.) and I'm geeking out over how they're integrating the JSA and the Seven Soldiers into a modern timeline.  I'm a huge fan of Golden Age DC comics and James Robinson's Starman is one of the few complete runs of comics that I still own.  The best part is that they're flipping things on their side canonically and I dig it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment