Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Lost Dispatches of Feraso #88 - Goblin Patrols and Human Partings

33rd of QuaDec, 1061 - Village of Eding, Kingdom of Crosedes
Back a few lifetimes ago, when I had access to a quality library, I spent quite some time studying the late period of both Ferasean Empires.  I honestly could not fully understand the pieces that fell into place to initiate the collapse of the most powerful country in the world.

This month I may have watched a microcosm of the fall of the empires with the goings-on in Eding.

Barrack's duty as nanny to Krull & Company was working out as best as he could do.  But as he curtailed the adventurer's actions, they complained up the chain of command.  Militia Captain Kraso Lacaray took a liking to Krull and they have been directly reporting to him.  Since that time, they've actively charged into the Nightwood,. hunting goblins, kobolds, and even troll-kin without mercy.

If I know this will simply incite the entirety of the G'ba, why is W. ignoring this?  Where's Lord Athelstane?  Times like this make me realize that Athelstane could use the experince of Lady Iris here, rather than awkwardly working the Royal Court. 

10th of HepDec, 1061 - Village of Eding, Kingdom of Crosedes
Krull's patrols have escalated in the Nightwood.  Now there is thick gray smoke pouring across the entire Forest.  A bonfire's smoke would barely break out of the canopy, so I fear the true actions and intent of the party.

14th of HepDec, 1061 - Village of Eding, Kingdom of Crosedes
Betrayal!

I have been lurking in the Nightwood the last two days, trying to ascertain to damage Krull & Company has dealt to the habitat.  The animals are prepared for flight, small mammals are attempting the near-suicidal crossing of the river for salvation.

But the worst part was uncovering a collection of dead birds with notes tied to their legs, just like W's style.  The encryption is half-done, but I'm aghast that it was for the has been prodding the goblin war leaders to attack Eding! Others are incomprehensible scribbles directed for the goblin shamans.  And their's one mysterious notice, a piece of correspondence from an individual to the north called Elswyn.  Very disturbing.

With W. inciting violence, northern allies encouraging it, and Athelstane indifference giving Krull and company carte blanche to deal with the goblins, I believe it's time to leave.

14th of HepDec, 1061 - Village of Eding, Kingdom of Crosedes
Another foray into the Nightwood for Krull and Company, another day of fire, smoke, and reports of goblins attacking caravans on this side of the river...

....

The Morning of the 20th of HepDec, 1061- Village of Eding, Kingdom of Crosedes 
With a couple extra gold, my writing desk has been loaded onto the wagon, and I, Elsderth of Eding, will become a simple Elsderth.  With the impending doom, and the major parties indifference to me and the fate of the village, I fear I must leave.  My intended destination is the nearby halfling villages.  If I can not warn their leaders of what's at stake, perhaps I'll be far enough away to avoid the worst of the carnage.  W. and their Elswyn should have a master plan that is far above my limited faculties that have allowed me to be a scribe, a traveling philosopher, a sellsword of good repute, a lawgiver, a dispenser of legal justice, a militia sergeant, a slayer of giants, dragons, and undead generals, and even a Baron.  Even my limited training in the ways of Guyan Wicca tell me disaster is about to beset all of us here if we do nothing.

As to not to attract attention, I've told the other villagers that I'm simply heading out to Elmshire to sell some collectibles and antiques that I've accumulated over the years.  Since I've grabbed some of W.'s possessions while they weren't looking, it's not entirely false.

21st of HepDec, 1061 - Halfling Village of Lowdale - Kingdom of Crosedes
Lowdale is the least of the Halfling Village, but I was met at the lowgate by the mayor himself Gerard Clayhanger.  This former master of Halfling construction is not the force of nature of A.Warren Corkbarrel (may he rest in peace), but he's a reasonable fellow and took my warnings with a troubled visage.  I have much more trust in the Lowdale militia being prepared for trouble that I am Eding's.

22nd of HepDec, 1061 - Halfling Village of Welldale - Kingdom of Crosedes
Welldale is the perfect Halfling community, and thanks to Militia Captain Wolbodo Puddlefoot, I have hope that that will remain so?  Perhaps after all this is done, the Halfling Villages work together to petition the King to recognize their sovereignty as a Halfling Shire, loyal to the crown, but controlling their own destiny.  Elves are vile, dwarves are drunks, and gnomes are scatter-brained, but Halflings and the Purvmone of the Eastern Lands are races to be respected and many a time, admired.

DM Notes:  Something's is going on, and it's simply too much for a 60+ year old Elsderth Millbottom to save things on his own.  His time for heroics is long gone.  He's hoping the impending goblin attack that he's feeling in his bones will be blood short, and not spill over to the other town.  Rebuilding  the village is still an option, but spilling his own blood for the so-called leaders of Eding is out of the question. 

What looks like chaos to Elsderth was actually casual adventuring to the players.  Scouting the forest, destroying new goblin outposts, terrorizing the goblin-kind to fall back, when in reality, they were adding fuel to the fire of the power play the Witch thought was going to fall right into place.  

But with Krull & Company protecting the town, Barrack, Angus, Captain Lacaray, and maybe even Athelstane, perhaps Eding can be saved. 

Next: #89 - Elmshire's Finest

No comments:

Post a Comment