Friday, August 28, 2026

RPGaDay2026 - Day 28 - "Devotion"

Day 28!  Four weeks of #RPGaDay and we show our "Devotion" to the process.

The most devotion I've ever seen was Echelon and his animals....  

My college roommate Steve has a 30-year, well-documented history of creating unique (and annoying) characters. 

Despite some great ones after we moved to the online era gaming, he truly peaked with Echelon.  

Echelon's  back story alone was enough to create heart palpitations with a GM.  When his only piece of equipment purchased was his trident, I knew I was in trouble.  

With the rest of his starting gold he bought animals... and the cages and carts needed to transport them. 

A regular Dr Doolittle. 

And a lot of pigeons.  A LOT of pigeons.

Echelon die NOT have buy in during the early episodes.  Sure, he travelled to the dungeons of the ancient Temple of Alasku, but he refused to go down into them, worried some animal would eat his animals. 

Echelon: Come back out here if you need healing.... Don't worry I won't charge.

He even brought a large tent, his fellow adventurers delighted that they could stay dry during an encroaching thunderstorm.

Echelon: No that's for the animals... 

I also believe he let Timmy, the torchbearer, stay above ground to help him tend the animals.  

This schtick didn't last very long, probably because I embraced it with foils.  

As the party released prisoners from the dungeon, they gave them some rations and sent them out of the dungeon... and into the passive aggressive tones of Echelon, while he was feeding his cages of pigeons.  Most simply wandered away, heading towards the nearest village, if the cleric pointed in the right direction. 

Then I had Carthon come up, a basic 0-level human.  And despite getting Echelon annoyed at every step... he stayed near the cart.  He befriended Timmy, and finally Echelon allowed him to stick around as a servant.  

Having Carthon around forced/allowed Echelon to actually adventure... adding more gold to his coffers. 

When the adventuring party left on a mission for the ArchBishop of Hydincall and were all assumed dead.  Carthon used his unknown skills (Echelon never asked) and liquidated some of the animals, and along with Echelon's fortune, bought a small estate "The Chateau"  outside of the village, on the off chance that the group would return one day (spoilers: they did).  The Chateau raised pigeons and made wine.  It was a great action by Carthon, until Echelon and Talis learned how he financed the place.... and they nearly lost everything, but I talked about that on day 13 - "Strain"

Alternative Question:: Game you have played the most!

No comments:

Post a Comment