Thursday, August 6, 2026

#RPGaDay2026 - Day 6 - "Reach"

 Day 6 of RPGaDay and we move to "Reach."

I will again push back the stories of a four-armed, ten-foot tall mutant sunflower, and work towards the alternative question: Who would you like to be able to share RPGs with? 

Between a decade in retail and 35 years of going to conventions, I'm all about introducing new folks to the hobby.  Even in the days where open gaming space wasn't a regular commodity, I'd spend my well earned time off to run a few sessions for kids (under the required watchful eyes of the parentals) to teach them the game and ensure a half-dozen Player's Handbooks would go off the shelf.   I've run all types of games for companies to promote new games. I've even actively offered to run games for folks with an interest, from family friends to my kids' own teammates. 

RPGs are difficult to share.  The time commitment, and the fact that even with minis and terrain, most of what's going on is immersive into the participants'' minds.

Too be honest, for a better showing, one might want to reflect what's being done with the the Father of RPGs: Wargaming.  

I've been active in the historical side of wargaming for thirty years.  The Historical Miniatures Gaming Society, Inc (HMGS) runs three quality shows in the Mid-Atlantic each year.  However, one constant complaint, perhaps the nature of the beast of this branch, is the "graying of the hobby."   It will always be easier to paint up and play 40K, even if one desperately wants to play historicals, because the figures requires are usually less for 40K versus a traditional battle of any era.  

In 2020, HMGS Next Gen, Inc., was founded as an offshoot of HMGS "with the goal to seed and fund the growth of game clubs in the United States and around the globe. By facilitating game-design thinking along with game-based professional development, HMGS Next Gen will grow the hobby and the critical thinking that it fosters."

"Currently, HMGS Next Gen is working with libraries, public and private universities, secondary schools, and corporate organizations. We are composed of facilitators who have seen, first hand, the value of games as a learning tool. Games provide participants with an opportunity to explore diversity, teamwork and camaraderie. This is done through analytical thinking, leadership and stress management."

All that has been occurring, and I know this, because I'm a member of Next Gen, albeit one who focuses on new gamers at conventions.  

Our main organizers are out, sometimes two, three, even four days a week, running different events for libraries, schools, and other organizations.  They are well attended, with not only a few return participants, but a number convincing their families to make trips to conventions like Historicon 
For my part of it, I'm happy I'm not trying to sell a book to them, rather focusing on the energy and enthusiasm for the hobby.  Let's been honest, I've been trying that with RPGs and my other kids since they were wee tykes.... 
2012
Both girls will still play games with their old man, but my oldest, Maja does run large games under the Next Gen banner.

You can best check out everything Next Gen is doing from their Facebook page.

Alternative Question: Who would you like to be able to share RPGs with?

No comments:

Post a Comment