For Day 4 of #RPGaDay, I really wanted to look away from the magical or social intimate connotations of "Charm," I really did.
I've watched the movie Tropic Thunder on repeat recently and went to Kirk Lazarus, as Lincoln Osiris, the classic scene, "He charmed the pants off of Nixon, and won a ping-pong competition...."
But none of my characters have done either, so I work my way back in my session to bring up a moment of charm that derailed the characters.
Dr Robert Wintermute, Professor of History at Miskatonic University, on loan to Columbia University, was a classic CoC investigator. All the players started playing 20's avatars versions of themselves, so and Dr Wintermute simply lived vicariously through his character while keeping the meta at a reasonable amount.
Early on in our Call of Cthulhu campaign, there was a lengthy research montage, with most characters teaming up to finish objectives. Dr Wintermute decided he was fine executing a little Library Use at the local library.
Until he rolls a 99. "You've been easily distracted by a young woman..."
"Well, if I'm going to fail, let's focus on my less savory qualities talking with her."
"Roll Persuade"
"02"
Meanwhile, the rest of the group were at their meeting place to go over their discoveries. Dr Wintermute was no where to be scene... for hours.
When he finally did reach the others hours later, there was no reason given for his complete incompetence in finding out anything, and certainly no mention of the consenting coed canoodling.
Details are sketchy, even with Actual Play write-ups, but in a scenario with an actual timeline of events occurring, this indiscretion was enough to significantly delay the investigators, allowing certain events to get out of their control.
This might have also led to "Operation Hobo Justice" but I've visited that beautiful debacle more than once before.
Alternative Question: An enjoyable moment of charm gone right or wrong?
No comments:
Post a Comment