Saturday, August 15, 2026

#RPGaDay2026 - Day 15 - "Endurance"

Day 15 of #RPGaDay and "Endurance" can go into so many directions.

I immediately thought of Hackmaster and the rules I didn't use, combat endurance being one of them. 

The 4th Edition of Hackmaster, the actual license for Pre-d20 D&D for Kenzer and Company, with a overtly healthy dose of parody and over-seriousness.  

And it's my favorite FRPG of all time. 

Fun fact: for a game with giant Gummi Wurm monsters, swiping dice over autographs for good luck, and a critical hit chart that requires a d10,000 , there are only a handful of rules we avoided.

Level Training:   There will be a post this month regarding the millions of gold heroes need to do anything in D&D/AD&D, but with most of low-magic/low-gold games, paying excessive amounts for gold and spending excessive amounts of time for training never appealed to me.  I applied most of the fringe benefits (free skills/skill points).

Threshold of Pain:  Great concept.  If anything alive takes a certain percentage of damage from a single attack, they're incapacitated.  A great concept that ensures that high-level characters or big monsters can still be swiftly neutralized by a lucky, high-penetrating damage roll from a smaller foe.

Except it's another stat I need to keep track of for eight players and the same in camp followers... plus the actual monsters themselves?   No thanks.

And I'll retract my combat endurance answer to start this off.  I avoided Fatigue Factor: rolls to stave off exhaustion in combat.  Essentially, the longer you fight, the more tire someone can be.  Again, much of this is the purview of the GM, and the only fatigue I try to gauge in combat is player fatigue. 



The Alternate Question:  How would you organize an endurance session of your favorite game?

No comments:

Post a Comment