Saturday, August 1, 2015

#RPGaDAY2015 Day #1: Most Anticipated Forthcoming Game

For me, the 2015 version of RPGaDay kicks off with a whimper.  I'm no longer the young crazed gamer of twenty years ago, ready and willing to jump onto the next cool system.  In fact, outside of the D&D Starter Set for 5e, I don't believe I've purchased a new RPG since Hackmaster Basic was released in print. 

The funny thing is, I have a monthly post called Apathy of the New Releases that covers the monthly solicitations via Alliance's Game Trade Magazine.   Despite enough product from Paizo and Fantasy Flight alone to make the average gamer squeal in delight, I rarely find much to go into my money-is-no-object want list, much less my practical one.

As of this writing, there is only one game that's coming out that I'm waiting with jittery anticipation, and it's not going through regular distribution channels yet.

Scavengers is an RPG  about exploring derelict space ships and getting rich off the loot!   There's role-playing potential, but with randomly generated derelict ships to salvage, there's the "cool dungeon" effect I remember as a young D&D gamer.

The big points that drew me to the game:
  • Random generated dungeons, I mean, ships
  • Simple mechanics
  • Game Balance - As the scavengers get more experienced, they accumulate Danger Points.  Too many danger points results in death/grievous injury.  It's a nice balance for the level of risk/reward.
  • I should be able to use this system for some personal non-published games involving children's programming by a large mouse with castles in Florida and California. 
  • Art by Travis Hanson.  I absolutely love his work, having pledged on the Tanner Jones and the Quest for the Monkey Stone on Kickstarter (available here).  





I pledged for the pdf copy of the rules during the Kickstarter, I did get the "Demo Copy" of the game in pdf this past week, and it only heightened my anticipation for the real thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment