Monday, August 24, 2015

#RPGaDAY2015 Day #24: Favorite House Rule

After you've gamed as long as I have, you tend to forget what are the actual rules of some games versus house rules by committee versus rulings you made up on the fly and they've stuck around ever since.

I've got one true house rule for any game I run: Heroes always win initiative ties.

I don't give my players any quarter regarding to-hit rolls and damage, but I will give them the upper hand in initiative if all other factors are equal.  That way I don't need to reference the specific rulebook and I don't have to control the effects of simultaneous combat.  Players are usually savvy enough to seize the initiative and make their actions dictate the pace of the encounter.  Of course, if they fail to do so, the GM shall provide no mercy whatsoever.  

No comments:

Post a Comment