Wednesday, August 12, 2015

#RPGaDAY2015 Day #12: Favorite RPG Illustration

Another confession:  I'm not a well-read geek.    No Hitchhikers Guide, no Lord of the Rings, no Narnia even.  I faked my way through every nerd trope and fantasy reference in the game store/group/message board.

Without that library of knowledge as my base (or base assumption), I needed visual references and stimuli to help me run games.

I relied heavily on whatever few illustrations were in the books and modules I could get my grubby little hands on.

Best Cover?  X11:  Saga of the Shadow Lord, by far.  It's also the best bait and switch in my opinion, because the module read nothing as awesome as the cover. 

 
The other illustration that kickstarted my imagination was Dragon Magazine #136, the first issue I ever bought.  
This is during a period of when the quality of the covers was as random as the quality of the material inside.  Issues #136 and #137 had awesome covers and great articles (building cities and wilderness exploration, respectively.)  Some of the other issues had amateurish art and articles, and I'm not talking about the April Fools issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment