Saturday, August 29, 2015

#RPGaDAY2015 Day #29: Favorite RPG Website/Blog

I visit a lot of websites and plenty of blogs, but most are focused on wargaming.  The blogs that do cover RPGs have largely dried up and disappeared over the years.

I will give a shout-out Tim's Miniature Wargaming Blog.  Mostly painting and wargames, but he has played a good deal of Savage Worlds with friends and family.  In fact, for awhile he kept up his second blog, Savage Timmy's Playhouse.

www.rpg.net  -  the RPG section is as redundant as ever.  I do check out the Other Games and sometimes Media.    Questions and discussions are either always the same that they were two months ago, or they are so outrageous that it's not worth my time.  And their actively posting community used to be so liberal that it made my Marxist-sympathetic leanings look like feel support of the divine right of kings. 

www.yog-sothoth.com - The go-to Call of Cthulhu site suffers like a min-version of rpg.net, without the political drivel.

Interest in Enworld, Dragonsfoot, and the Kenzerco forums dried up years ago. 

Podcasts:
I mentioned Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff  and the Miskatonic University Podcast on an earlier listing.  I actively use KATAS for the show notes, and although smal, the MU Podcast Forums are congenial and informative.

Skype of Cthulhu was a go-to podcast, but as the focus on most actual plays is Horror on the Orient Express, and I'd like to be surprised by that when I get to be an actual player, I've searched the back catalog for a few episodes, but not much else.  To be honest, I haven't even checked out the website, if one exists.

The one new podcast I started listening to is the Happy Jacks RPG Podcast and their forums aren't too bad either.  They field a ton of listener feedback on their episode, and it's amusing to see that from fanzines, to BBS posts, to web forums, to podcasts,  most of the questions and stories have not changed since the first gaming session.  The advice given is usually 101% spot on (and the group discussion actively changes advice).  Sure the group is slogging through 5E right now, but their players have experience in everything from Vampire to GURPS to Champions to Exalted and seem like a fun bunch to be around, even without the on-mic drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment