Friday, August 18, 2017

#RPGaDay 2017 Day 18: Which RPG Have You Played the Most in Your Life

Day 18: "Which RPG have you played the most in your life?"

Short Answer: AD&D 2nd Edition
Long Answer:  I was ramping up to become a DM right at the onset of 2nd Edition.  I embraced it wholeheartedly. I eschewed splatbooks and weird plot devices. I fumbled through the narrative based sourcebooks.  I did everything short of physical violence to avoid Skills & Powers.

I embraced THAC0 willingly and lovingly and 2nd Edition became the main staple of my gaming diet throughout the 90's.  If it weren't for Hackmaster during the great d20 debacle, I would have easily returned to it through this day. Hell, I still have open invitations to not one, but two 2nd Edition campaigns, if I ever had the time.

I've tried 3rd, I laughed wildly at 4th, and 5th gets pretty close to 1st/2nd with all the modern nuances, but I still have THAC0 progression and xp monster tables memorized after all these years.  

1 comment:

  1. I never actually played 2nd edition. It came out just as I was growing tired of D&D and was moving on to other role-playing games - Role Master for fantasy games. Didn't try D&D again until 3.5, and played only briefly in a campaign a guy I knew was running. Completely missed 4th Edition, and now I'm playing in a 5E campaign. I haven't DMed a D&D game since AD&D - though I've used plenty adventures in other systems - mostly Savage Worlds.

    ReplyDelete