Friday, August 25, 2017

Spartan Games Closes Its Doors!

In a stunning press release today, Spartan Games announced that they are ceasing operations.

Spartan was the publisher of Dystopian Wars, Dystopian Legions, and Firestorm Armada.  Despite an active Kickstarter campaign (now cancelled) that was only a few hundred Pounds away from reaching it's goal, they claimed challenging business conditions in the miniatures wargaming market, as well as health issues of a key board member for the decision.  
At this point, I need to put on my ViscountEric, former retail manager, hat on, and not that I would have written off the Spartan Games as part of the stock in my (imaginary) game store in 2013.  I don't like being right about a company I had no stake in, nor any bad experience with, but an aggressive expansion on multiple lines for products only a handful of people in the States knew about made me extremely nervous.  I've seen it before, and I've mentioned the same thing in this year's Apathy of the New Releases columns for companies that can't even make it through distribution.

I may wait a bit to see if the impressive discounts from sites like Miniatures Market grow larger after the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment