Tuesday, August 29, 2017

#RPGaDay 2017 Day 29: What Has Been the Best-Run RPG Kickstarter You Have Backed?

We have come upon day 29 of  #RPGaDay: What Has Been the Best-Run RPG Kickstarter You Have Backed?

I'm more of a miniatures guy when it comes to Kickstarter.  If I see greens or a reasonable production run, I'll bite.

I'm far more fickle with RPGs.  Writing, artists, editing, and printing are all gigantic landmines, even for experienced crews.

I was initially going to go with Scavengers.  I was quite happy with the campaign, the rewards,  the communication, and I'm delighted with every piece of Travis Hanson art on each page.  However, I only requested the core pdf with none of the stretch goals.  I got my pdf seven months late and I was fine with that.  However, the campaign stretch goals have finally been fulfilled after two years.  That borders on old Chaosium Kickstarter territory.

With my skewed nostalgia corrected, I must first give a general shout-out to Golden Goblin Press.  I've backed three of their campaigns and all three have been excellent.  Good communications, delays are counted in weeks, sometimes days, and each item is a quality product.

Specifically, I give props to the De Horrore Cosmico scenario book for Cthulhu Invictus.  Great rewards, great communications, with estimated delivery of April 2015 with the book arriving prior to GenCon (perfectly acceptable with 30 years of waiting for other gaming books).
And because I look out for my fellow gamers, even though I wanted none of the stretch goals, everything that was promised (including a short-story collection) was shipped out by September 2015, and Oscar Rios was busy cleaning up missing orders, missing items in October.   The other Goblin Goblin campaigns were closer to their target dates, but stretch goals lingered on a bit longer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment