Wednesday, August 30, 2017

#RPGaDay 2017 Day 30: What RPG Genre Mash-Up Would You Most Like to See?

Almost there!  The penultimate question for this year's #RPGaDay was also the second hardest for me to answer:

Day 30: "What RPG Genre Mash-Up Would You Most Like to See?"

This one sent me down some pretty deep tangents.  I'll just cover the main points.

To quote the Barenaked Ladies, "It's all been done," and if it hasn't, there might be a good reason for it.  If I scour RPGnow.com enough, I might find a Vampire Mecha game, or a troupe based Steampunk Wizard game, but most "new" genre mash-ups are variations on an existing theme. 

So, upon my searches for previous #RPGaDay questions, I fell upon this gem:
I owned this book from West End Games back in the day, probably part of their $5 Pennsylvania fire sales that were epic on the local convention scene.  It was a pretty decent book that I mined for ideas, but it was long lost in one of my purges, but it sparked my next question?

Are there any good Pulp Sky Pirate games?

I see a lot of fantasy related flying pirates material, but not much for true pulp 20's/30's esque style flying adventures.  Crimson Skies is a bit overdone, and let's not mention SkyCaptain and the World of Tomorrow.
My first brilliant thought was that I just didn't want a classic sky pirate game, I wanted DuckTales!!!

And after four weeks of this endeavor, I finally looked up some episodes of DuckTales and despite my old GM Charles using some episodes for GURPS Humanx game back in the 90's, I realized that, beyond the catchy theme song (A-woo-hoo!) it wasn't what I had stuck in my head.

I stand corrected, I want a Tailspin game.
Maybe we can avoid the Disney licensing fees for a pretty obscure property (I assume more people could believe they could make money on DuckTales, Darkwing Duck, and Chip 'n Dale Rescue Ranger.  If you add Goof Troop to that list, I will have to cut you.)   Cool sea planes that don't completely venture into WW2 territory, anthropomorphic character in classic roles  from the silver screen, and perhaps the only Disney cartoon property that has the words anti-aircraft artillery in its Wikipedia listing. 

Get me a Tailspin game.

Or at least a sourcebook for the DuckTales RPG.  I'm flexible.

No comments:

Post a Comment