Saturday, December 20, 2014

RPGaDay #20 Will Still Play in 20 Years Time

Here's the thing, I've been playing for 25 years, so the should I compare what I played back in 1994 to now?

Three nominees.
  • #3: Hackmaster -  D&D might be the Esperanto of Gaming, but Hackmaster 4th is just enough crunch mixed with parody to make this my preferred Fantasy game in 20 years. It might take that long to get the Trogs back together.
  • #2: Call of Cthulhu -  At the rate we're going, we'll be done with Masks in 20 years or so. Still haven't seen a reason to leave the 1st-6th Edition cradle of consistency. 
But the true winner should be:
  • Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 2nd Edition
 
Although I started with BD&D and my high school campaign began with 1st Edition, I've logged in more hours of 2nd than any other game system.   I know the system front and back, so much so that I could probably run a game completely without books... and it would still be fair to everyone involved.
 
One disclaimer:  Core rules only.  No Kits.  No Handbooks.  No Skills and Powers.
 
You want to be some special freakin' snowflake.  Roleplay it!  Earn it!

No comments:

Post a Comment