Friday, December 5, 2014

RPGaDay #5 Most Old School RPG Owned

I have rotated through so much role playing stuff that I almost feel cheated being required to select the Most Old School RPG that I own.  While I have not owned a copy of Chainmail or the white books, I've snagged most of the common books from the 70s.  This leaves me with the question, "What is so Old School about the stuff you have left?"

Despite a Revised version of the City State of the Invincible Overlord circa 1978 hiding a drawer, my personal favorite is The Thieves of Fortress Badabaskor by Judges Guild.


For books of the era, they came in only two varieties: chockfull of tedious minutiae to help guide any sandbox campaign, or in the case of Thieves 32 pages of barely coherent dungeon that gets vaguer and vaguer the further into it you get.   There is no general overview for each dungeon level, so depending on how the rooms are numbered, important information for rooms 1,2, and 4 could be mentioned in room 8.   Ninja-drop-from-the ceiling-type issues and such.

Still, it stays in my drawer in the office, pining for the days it will get used when the Burning Trogs reunite. It's not great as-is, but it was fleshed out in a 3.x/4th Edition supplement back in the day, and with a little work that I assume with every module I snag up, it can be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment