Monday, August 15, 2016

#RPGaDay 2016 Day #15 Best Source of Inspiration for RPGs

Halfway into the month, and I'm finally going to dial one in. 

Day #15: Best Source of Inspiration for RPGs

There's two directions I can go with this:

Current Events:  I don't plan on basing any game on a plot device "ripped from the headlines."  Rather, I use the newspaper to transfer local and state news into campaign appropriate forms.  School boards and local municipalities are baronies, counties and cities are duchies, other states are neighboring kingdoms.   I usually grab a paper once a week for this purpose and the weeklong story usually lasts 1-3 months in my timeline.  If I really need some inspiration (or lots of filler), I'll grab the New York Times.

Other RPGers:  This is a no brainer.  With the expansion of blogs and podcasts, it's quite easy to take a technique or idiosyncrasy and go crazy with it.  Better yet, I can see interesting techniques that fail on initial look and I can adapt them to my own game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment